Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fever Ray - If I Had A Heart



There's a whole lot of buzz building around Karin Dreijer Andersson's upcoming side project, Fever Ray. The self-titled album, released digitally in January and physically in March, is an altogether slower, moodier and more personal affair than her work with brother Olaf Dreijer as the Knife, but it won't disappoint. Staying true to both halves of the Fever Ray pseudonym, Andersson takes us through her fragmented inner world-- both haunting and illuminating-- that stands as a powerful personal testament and an evocative companion to Silent Shout.

As always, the videos for her work are top notch, playing with illusion, masks and dreams-- all adding a sense of mystery and spectacle to the music. There's a great Pitchfork interview with KDA from back in July 2006, where she speaks about the "theatrical" nature of the Knife's performances:

"It's a natural way of presenting what you do when you make music. It's fiction. A more unnatural way would be to stand there with your own face and with your private life-- that's not healthy or good for the music. It takes focus away from what's important."

Fever Ray - "If I Had a Heart" (directed by Andreas Nilsson)



Fever Ray - "When I Grow Up" (directed by Martin de Thurah)



Fuck Buttons' remix of "If I Had a Heart," out now on the "If I Had a Heart" 7" single:



Fever Ray on Myspace.
Digital download of Fever Ray's self-titled LP on Amazon.

5 comments:

Fred said...

YOU ARE FUCKING ALIVE MAN

where have you been?

on a lighter note, "when i grow up" is one of my favorite singles of the new year.

Jeremy said...

hey man !

i was super busy trying to find a place to live with some roommates and starting school again, but now i'm nice and settled and have time to waste blogging hard !!

this is a crackin album huh? i love it. inspired me to go buy silent shout and watch the dvd of their live performances again... thanks for reading !

Fred said...

yeah i didn't know how well silent shout would age but it's still a pretty amazing record. 'we share our mother's health' is still the jam.

this camp is pretty excited for that the field record as well

maxwell qw said...

This is cool I think except I got bored of the intro to that video because I couldn't skip ahead to the hook or whatever. Why don't you use YouTube like normal people?
I am going to give you the url of my blog and I sort of expect you to link to me.
http://www.moralsandstandards.blogspot.com

Charlie D. said...

you're going to like the new planningtorock album. mad knife, etc, cameos. basically an electronic opera.